This is an overview of my work and professional experience. You can also download this as a two-page CV.
A passionate and hard-working team player, looking for exciting opportunities in mid-level administration and junior management where I can use my technical expertise and leadership skills. Particular focus on education and public sector, with a strong background in higher education admissions, recruitment and timetabling.
- Postgraduate Research, MBA & DBA Admissions Officer – University of Bradford, Aug 2016-present
Administering all postgraduate research (PhD), MBA and DBA applications for the institution, ensuring accuracy of offers, responding to enquiries and supporting recruitment events.
- Developed a well-received PhD recruitment handbook for colleagues to use at events.
- Documented and refined processes for application processing, and managed training for colleagues.
- Undertaking an apprenticeship in Leadership & Management
- Timetabling Administrator – University of Bradford, Jan-Jul 2016 (secondment)
Development of student timetables for lectures, workshops and laboratory practicals using Scientia Syllabus+/Enterprise. Resolving conflicts, ensuring staff and lecture room/resource availability, and sitting on approval panels for new and changed degree courses to recommend improvements.
- UG Admissions, Marketing & Recruitment Officer– University of Bradford, 2010-2016
Administering undergraduate admissions, including arranging interviews, planning and organising open day events, managing applicant details from UCAS on a database, managing and planning rotas for student ambassadors, processing of information for visa applications and offering careers advice.
- Promoted within same role in 2013 to become main data officer for the faculty, to include producing reports and capturing business intelligence data.
- Developed procedures for cascading unsuccessful applicants to other courses within the faculty, resulting in around 40 extra students enrolling each year.
- Managed the compilation and proof-reading of 2015 issue of faculty newsletter, Reflections.
- Hub Clerical Officer – University of Bradford, 2007-2010
Processed admissions for UCAS applicants, administration of postgraduate research students on university database (SITS:Vision), visa queries and face-to-face support for current students.
- Clerical Assistant – University of Bradford, 2004-2007
Included meeting and greeting prospective students & parents on open days, conducting tours, answering the phones for the university’s clearing hotline and dealing with student enquiries; data entry and general administrative work in a typical office environment. Job was on a part-time basis around my studies.
Education and Certifications
- ILM Level 3 Diploma in Leadership & Management (City Training Services, 2019 onwards)
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Food Hygiene (Virtual College, 2019)
- PRINCE2 Foundation & Practitioner (QA Training, 2018)
- PGDip Forensic Computing (Univ. Bradford, 2005-2007, Pass)
Study of the Internet, protocols, cryptography, security and forensic analysis. Taught in conjunction with West Yorkshire Police.
- BSc (Hons) Computing & Information Systems (Univ. Bradford, 2002-2005, 2:2 honours)
Course focussed on Java programming with some mathematical elements, study of databases, user interfaces, software systems and professional skills.
- A-levels – Geography (C), Mathematics (D), French (D), York College, 2002
- AS-levels – Computing (D), Physics (E), York College, 2001/2
- 10 GCSEs – Grades A*-B including Mathematics (A), English (B) and Science (BB)
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office – particularly Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access & OneNote.
- Experienced copywriter for Customer Relations Management (CRM) email communications and printed publicity materials, including course brochures and newsletters (samples available on request).
- Significant experience of Tribal SITS:Vision, Scientia Syllabus+, SAP BusinessObjects, Azorus CRM & Salesforce.
- Moderator for faculty web site, using TerminalFour SiteManager.
- Managed and contributed to faculty social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter). Active and confident social media user in a personal capacity.
- Effective customer service skills including good telephone manner, with experience of working in a busy call centre environment for university Clearing. Confident with both inbound and outbound calling campaigns.
- Full clean UK driving licence.
- Active administration of Linux/Apache web server with WordPress; maintain my own blog at www.neilturner.me.uk and manage web sites for a student society and local trade union branch.
- Over 10 years’ experience with Apple macOS (OS X).
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS.
Completed training courses
- Degrees of Deception – Dealing with Education Fraud, UK NARIC, March 2017
- University Governance, Univ. Bradford, Nov 2016
- Understanding the New UCAS Tariff, Univ. Bradford, Feb 2016
- International Students & Tier 4 Visas, Univ. Bradford, Oct 2015
- Confirmation & Clearing, Univ. Bradford, Aug 2015
- Trans Awareness, TransAllOut, Feb 2015
- Employing Students on Campus, Univ. Bradford, Jun 2012
- TerminalFour Site Manager for Moderators, Univ. Bradford, Mar 2012
- Dealing With Change, Univ. Bradford, Jul 2010
Hobbies and interests
- Keen photographer, samples available at www.flickr.com/photos/neilt
- Hill walking and hiking
- Blog writing
- Volunteer theatre technician, with experience of lighting and set-building
Referees – Available upon request.